The story of America is the story of Williamsburg and the people who lived and worked in this once bustling colonial capital. Some of the nation’s most famous leaders—Washington, Jefferson and Madison—walked these streets and made lives for themselves right here. But our story is so much more than just these nation builders. Our story is one of hope, courage and perseverance.
At 10:51 a.m. on December 7, 1926—92 years ago today—an obscurely worded telegram signed by “David’s father” was sent over the lines from New York City to Williamsburg, an event we mark as the beginning of the Restoration of Virginia’s colonial capital.
Those who are local to Williamsburg may have already noticed the scaffold on the Benjamin Powell House at the corner of Waller and Lafayette Streets. We are starting the third and final major roof replacement for 2018.
While an all-male Advisory Committee of Architects periodically visited Williamsburg to critique the progress of architectural restoration work in the 1930s, a group of female counterparts also played a role in guiding the decision-making process, particularly regarding interior décor and furnishings.
George Washington was known as an avid animal lover, but do you know how many dogs he doted on over the years?